Jump to content

GDT: Montreal Canadiens vs Toronto Maple Leafs - Jan 13 2021 -


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ScotiaBank Arena Toronto, ONT Game  -  1/56 7pm       Joe 97 Thornton   –  Auston 34 Matthews  –  Mitchy 16 Marner Jimmy 26 Vesey  –  John 91 Tavares  –  Wil

Could be worse, noize could be here. hi nfk... how r u... me im gud. cud u teech me how u do the blurr afect on ur sigz. they r so gud... we should chat more u kno... luv u... ~ noizey ~ 

They should call it "How to spend to the cap and trade all your top draft spots and still come in last place Corner"

29 minutes ago, canadaguy said:

Ha ha... no, my brother’s the Dolphins fan... I cheer for the mighty Bengals and Rams! My dad goes for the Browns... kind of a loser family, really!

I stopped watching football years ago. Going way back it was the 49ers. Then they started winning a lot and everyone and there dog became a fan. So i then cheered for the Eagles. I actually don't mind the Browns or Bengals. I guess you aren't old enough to remember Eric Dickerson?

 

Edited by PIPERSMAN63
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PIPERSMAN63 said:

I stopped watching football years ago. Going way back it was the 49ers. Then they started winning a lot and everyone and there dog became a fan. So i then cheered for the Eagles. I actually don't mind the Browns or Bengals. I guess you aren't old enough to remember Eric Dickerson?

 

Dickerson was either just leaving or had just left the Rams when I started watching. Their big players that I remember from my early days were Jim Everett, Henry Ellard and Kevin Greene.

Bengals had some pretty good players at the time too... Boomer, Ickey Woods, James Brooks and Chris Collinsworth, who was a much better receiver than he is an announcer!

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Humper said:

 

It was meant to be harsh.

 

Burke is an opinionated bigmouth with little justification as to why what he says means shit.

 

He seems to have become worse over the past couple of years.  Like he’s trying his hardest to be controversial and maybe take up Don Cherry’s vacancy

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, n0nsense said:

He seems to have become worse over the past couple of years.  Like he’s trying his hardest to be controversial and maybe take up Don Cherry’s vacancy

I mean, it might be a good strategy from an income stand point.  If you’re in the media, throwing out controversial nonsense is likely going to earn you a paycheck.  

Anyone who watches the American’s coverage of the NBA should know this, but I think it is a bit of a misread on Canadian culture to graft it onto hockey coverage.  I agree that a certain level of controversy is going to work up here too, but I don’t think Cherry’s success has as much to do with controversy (not entirelyat least) as say Skip & Shannon Sharpe, or Steven A Smith use it.  

Being a loud mouth has a certain appeal, but I think if you want to emulate Cherry’s success up here, you have to realize who the hockey fan is, exactly.  There are tons of hottake, controversial loud mouths up here, (bob mccoun, burke, tim & sid, simmons) but all are simultaneously hated as well, and none of their followers they do have come close to any Cherry fan’s devotion.  

Cherry’s popularity wasn’t just his hot take loudmouthed nature, I think it was that he spoke to Canadian’s self-image.  They believe they’re “tough,” and they believe we live in the greatest country in the world, and they don’t want the color of that great country changing. Women are weak, men are strong, people of color don’t belong.  So, I don’t think anyone will recapture Cherry’s success with the backlash that’d ensue after making the statements that you’d have to make, and without that, you just have another tim & sid.   A moderate amount of success, but no real hope of ever capturing Cherry’s former popularity.  Burke should see this, but who knows.  He has alluded to the greatness of playing in Canada so often, that he may be trying to thread that needle....   good luck on that one though.

Edited by Dog Taker
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, §andman said:

I really hope Lehtonen gets in soon. 

I want to see what he can do. 

I’d be surprised if he doesn’t play on Saturday. Especially if Bogosian has another bad game.

I don’t mind Barabanov so far (he’s played a whole 5 or so minutes mind you) but Robertson should rotate into his spot eventually.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dog Taker said:

I mean, it might be a good strategy from an income stand point.  If you’re in the media, throwing out controversial nonsense is likely going to earn you a paycheck.  

Anyone who watches the American’s coverage of the NBA should know this, but I think it is a bit of a misread on Canadian culture to graft it onto hockey coverage.  I agree that a certain level of controversy is going to work up here too, but I don’t think Cherry’s success has as much to do with controversy (not entirelyat least) as say Skip & Shannon Sharpe, or Steven A Smith use it.  

Being a loud mouth has a certain appeal, but I think if you want to emulate Cherry’s success up here, you have to realize who the hockey fan is, exactly.  There are tons of hottake, controversial loud mouths up here, (bob mccoun, burke, tim & sid, simmons) but all are simultaneously hated as well, and none of their followers they do have come close to any Cherry fan’s devotion.  

Cherry’s popularity wasn’t just his hot take loudmouthed nature, I think it was that he spoke to Canadian’s self-image.  They believe they’re “tough,” and they believe we live in the greatest country in the world, and they don’t want the color of that great country changing. Women are weak, men are strong, people of color don’t belong.  So, I don’t think anyone will recapture Cherry’s success with the backlash that’d ensue after making the statements that you’d have to make, and without that, you just have another tim & sid.   A moderate amount of success, but no real hope of ever capturing Cherry’s former popularity.  Burke should see this, but who knows.  He has alluded to the greatness of playing in Canada so often, that he may be trying to thread that needle....   good luck on that one though.

That’s a good sized essay but of course Burke is trying to sell himself. His entire personality is based on being obnoxious. It was how he wanted the build the team here and now he’s just throwing out controversial statements that he knows will garner attention for their edge

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been posted many times about Willy. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. That's not meant as an insult, just a comment on the style of hockey he plays, much like his dad. I'm ok with that. He has a role to play, and it has nothing to do with winning a Selke. That's for other players to strive for.

I like what I've seen from him and expect him to continue to grow his game. If he's only scoring goals, but he's contributing 30-35 a year. That's a win.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • AoR locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...