Has Kapanen and Johnsson's value declined?

Kapanen 69 GP 13 G 23 A 36 P 

7 points in 25 playoff games

Johnsson 43 GP 8 G 13 A 21 P

4 points in 14 playoff games

We know who they are at this point. Are they worth keeping?They are walking a fine line of having unaffordable contracts with TOR. If Dubas decides to acquire a top 4 defenseman without moving any of the "Big 4", then Kap and Mango are going to have to be moved. Kap didn't have a good season, and Johnsson was injured. Both didn't really have an impact in the post-season. 

Are either of them a top 6 player on a bad NHL team? I can think of very few teams who need their services badly. 

If you were a GM of a team would you move your top 4 defenseman just to acquire a player like Kapanen  or Johnsson? 

What should Dubas do with both players? Do you now hang on to them because you'll just never get the return you'd expected?

1 hour ago, StepOnYou said:

Kapanen 69 GP 13 G 23 A 36 P 

7 points in 25 playoff games

Johnsson 43 GP 8 G 13 A 21 P

4 points in 14 playoff games

We know who they are at this point. Are they worth keeping?They are walking a fine line of having unaffordable contracts with TOR. If Dubas decides to acquire a top 4 defenseman without moving any of the "Big 4", then Kap and Mango are going to have to be moved. Kap didn't have a good season, and Johnsson was injured. Both didn't really have an impact in the post-season. 

Are either of them a top 6 player on a bad NHL team? I can think of very few teams who need their services badly. 

If you were a GM of a team would you move your top 4 defenseman just to acquire a player like Kapanen  or Johnsson? 

What should Dubas do with both players? Do you now hang on to them because you'll just never get the return you'd expected?

I think you would get the return expected, if what you expect is a second pairing defenseman. You're not gonna get a player that rocks your socks from one of those guys, and the salary they free up isn't gonna even allow you to go for a top pairing dman, if that's what the aim is. I think we all know that we need some real help on the back end. We need a top pairing dman, and replacements for Cody Ceci and Tyson Barrie. They way I see it, the only locks for D next year are Reilly and Muzzin. Everyone else is expendable, with the two pylons mentioned above being shown the door without a doubt.  

Anyway, back to Kaoanen and Johnsson. If we did move them, and did get above market return in the form of a defenseman, we're really gonna have to work some magic to get replacements for them up front. I fear having the dearth of depth we currently have on the back end simply shifted to the front end. 

Pai pretty much covered Kapanen's value already. Johnsson even when healthy this season wasn't great and he's older than Kapanen; he's not as valuable.

11 minutes ago, Tristan28 said:

I think you would get the return expected, if what you expect is a second pairing defenseman. You're not gonna get a player that rocks your socks from one of those guys, and the salary they free up isn't gonna even allow you to go for a top pairing dman, if that's what the aim is. I think we all know that we need some real help on the back end. We need a top pairing dman, and replacements for Cody Ceci and Tyson Barrie. They way I see it, the only locks for D next year are Reilly and Muzzin. Everyone else is expendable, with the two pylons mentioned above being shown the door without a doubt.  

Anyway, back to Kaoanen and Johnsson. If we did move them, and did get above market return in the form of a defenseman, we're really gonna have to work some magic to get replacements for them up front. I fear having the dearth of depth we currently have on the back end simply shifted to the front end. 

Depth isn't hard to find, Patrick Maroon would be a solid addition for starters imo. Barabanov, Korshkov, and Robertson have pretty good chances of making the roster next season as well.

Edited by Morrison7
5 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

Pai pretty much covered Kapanen's value already. Johnsson even when healthy this season wasn't great and he's older than Kapanen; he's not as valuable.

Depth isn't hard to find, Patrick Maroon would be a solid addition for starters imo. Barabanov, Korshkov, and Robertson have pretty good chances of making the roster next season as well.

Shut down this thread?

• 1 month later...