Your 2020 - 2021 Toronto Maple Leafs

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It seems Dubas is bringing in players that will compete. We certainly don't have enough of those type of players on our team. So why the complaining?

Lets drop the personal attacks please. This is the Leafs section not the bitch to/about each other section.

i dont understand why everyone keeps saying arimov is a small soft winger.   he's 170, 6' at 18.... he'll be 195-200 by 22 easily, and not a single scouting reports that he avoids contact...

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

He didn’t have a good season outside the stretch he had after his healthy scratch. I hate that the last memory I’ll have of him is stopping on a breakaway looking to make a pass.

Drafting skill and acquiring grit via trade or FA isn’t new or an insurgence of different thinking. Hasn’t that always been the plan?

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

LoL 

Spoken like a veteran of fantasy hockey.

There are so many great examples of drafting grit and acquiring skill. It's the way it should be. Sadly some leaf fans aren't old enough to remember this happening with success. All they have to go on is Nick Ritchie and Tyler Biggs discussion forums.

I hate skill. 

40 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

He didn’t have a good season outside the stretch he had after his healthy scratch. I hate that the last memory I’ll have of him is stopping on a breakaway looking to make a pass.

Drafting skill and acquiring grit via trade or FA isn’t new or an insurgence of different thinking. Hasn’t that always been the plan?

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Dubas' plan. You tell me. 

5 minutes ago, StepOnYou said:

LoL 

There are so many great examples of drafting grit and acquiring skill. It's the way it should be. Sadly some leaf fans aren't old enough to remember this happening with success. All they have to go on is Nick Ritchie and Tyler Biggs discussion forums.

I hate skill. 

This isn't the 80's, man. 

I know. I get it. We were spoiled with Clark, Gilmour etc., they were the epitome of what I love about hockey. But, the league today is much, much different than it was then. Speed and skill (with the obvious balance of strong support players) is the way it is today, you can't touch a player without ending up in the box, fighting is near dead and the aim seems to be more scoring and less goalie duels. 

I don't like it either, but this is where we're at. 

48 minutes ago, StepOnYou said:

LoL 

I hate skill. 

Probably because it rarely happened here, if at all outside of Clark and Domi.

43 minutes ago, Wilma Fingerdo said:

Dubas' plan. You tell me. 

To establish a skilled core and build around them with depth character guys? 

Edited by Morrison7
1 hour ago, Anger Management said:

They all thought speed and skill would win...obviously they were wrong now they are trying to get the necessary grit and character we need to push past at least the first round of the playoffs and i still think we will get there with what we have. 

Speed and skill will win. They just needed more on top of that. Dubas is trying to address those deficiencies. We'll see how the team goes now.

46 minutes ago, StepOnYou said:

LoL 

I hate skill. 

Is it the skill that you hate?

I think it might be the lack of determination that sometimes accompanies the skill. After all, grit is just determination.

The best players are the ones with the most determination.

That's the way it's always been.

17 minutes ago, JockDent said:

Is it the skill that you hate?

I think it might be the lack of determination that sometimes accompanies the skill. After all, grit is just determination.

The best players are the ones with the most determination.

That's the way it's always been.

I don't hate skill. I'm just having fun. 

Soft, skilled players can go either way. They can push themselves to be more determined or they have their legacy be like Alexander Semin. 

1 hour ago, Johnny's Home said:

This isn't the 80's, man. 

I know. I get it. We were spoiled with Clark, Gilmour etc., they were the epitome of what I love about hockey. But, the league today is much, much different than it was then. Speed and skill (with the obvious balance of strong support players) is the way it is today, you can't touch a player without ending up in the box, fighting is near dead and the aim seems to be more scoring and less goalie duels. 

I don't like it either, but this is where we're at. 

I don't disagree with everything here. Being penalized for fighting is still 5 min. in the box. Yeah there's no staged fighting anymore, but emotion still exists. People are still talking about Spezza's scrap in the play-in series. 

1 hour ago, StepOnYou said:

I don't disagree with everything here. Being penalized for fighting is still 5 min. in the box. Yeah there's no staged fighting anymore, but emotion still exists. People are still talking about Spezza's scrap in the play-in series. 

This is true, but look at the numbers league wide. Fighting overall is way down.

It's also hard on defensive players. You need players with strong positioning and active sticks because it seems everything is called (or nothing is called, equally as frustrating). 

It's all just different. I miss those days.

1 hour ago, crazyray79 said:

Just read Mikheyevs agent and the Leafs agent had agreed to a deal for more and then the Leafs called and offered less and he took it to help the team stay under the cap.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/behind-ilya-mikheyevs-last-minute-rfa-contract-maple-leafs/

Well, this is the type of guy you want on the team so I can see why they opted to work it out with him instead of "well someone in FA would be cheaper". You know what he brings when healthy, he's familiar with the team, he's shown he gels - with a FA you just don't know. 

Class move, Soup. Nice to see.

2 hours ago, Morrison7 said:

Probably because it rarely happened here, if at all outside of Clark and Domi.

To establish a skilled core and build around them with depth character guys? 

isn't that what Babcock was pushing for?

Edited by Wilma Fingerdo
2 minutes ago, Wilma Fingerdo said:

isn't that what Babcock was pushing for?

but only at surface level.   what he really was pushing for was the babcock show.  the "i don't care that you're far and away my best player, and that if you don't show up big the team isn't going anywhere regardless of who i have surrounding you, you're gonna play 16 minutes.  and when we're down and i need you more than ever, i'll still keep you on the bench just to show you who's boss.  just like i showed modano who's boss, in a meaningless game, that meant literally nothing, so that I could rob him of 1500 games."   the "we're down 4-1 in the final elimination game of the playoffs, and actually, I think my fourth line should get increased minutes because i'm mike babcock."  also known as the "i know spezza's homecoming is important to him, and i know he took a discount to return home, but i'm gonna scratch him and tell the media it's because he hasn't been working on his pking, even though i never even tried him as a pker during pre-season."  that's what babcock was pushing for.