Your 2020 - 2021 Toronto Maple Leafs

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It seems Dubas is bringing in players that will compete. We certainly don't have enough of those type of players on our team. So why the complaining?

i dont understand why everyone keeps saying arimov is a small soft winger.   he's 170, 6' at 18.... he'll be 195-200 by 22 easily, and not a single scouting reports that he avoids contact...

Lets drop the personal attacks please. This is the Leafs section not the bitch to/about each other section.

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

He didn’t have a good season outside the stretch he had after his healthy scratch. I hate that the last memory I’ll have of him is stopping on a breakaway looking to make a pass.

Drafting skill and acquiring grit via trade or FA isn’t new or an insurgence of different thinking. Hasn’t that always been the plan?

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

LoL 

Spoken like a veteran of fantasy hockey.

There are so many great examples of drafting grit and acquiring skill. It's the way it should be. Sadly some leaf fans aren't old enough to remember this happening with success. All they have to go on is Nick Ritchie and Tyler Biggs discussion forums.

I hate skill. 

40 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

He didn’t have a good season outside the stretch he had after his healthy scratch. I hate that the last memory I’ll have of him is stopping on a breakaway looking to make a pass.

Drafting skill and acquiring grit via trade or FA isn’t new or an insurgence of different thinking. Hasn’t that always been the plan?

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Dubas' plan. You tell me. 

5 minutes ago, StepOnYou said:

LoL 

There are so many great examples of drafting grit and acquiring skill. It's the way it should be. Sadly some leaf fans aren't old enough to remember this happening with success. All they have to go on is Nick Ritchie and Tyler Biggs discussion forums.

I hate skill. 

This isn't the 80's, man. 

I know. I get it. We were spoiled with Clark, Gilmour etc., they were the epitome of what I love about hockey. But, the league today is much, much different than it was then. Speed and skill (with the obvious balance of strong support players) is the way it is today, you can't touch a player without ending up in the box, fighting is near dead and the aim seems to be more scoring and less goalie duels. 

I don't like it either, but this is where we're at. 

48 minutes ago, StepOnYou said:

LoL 

I hate skill. 

Probably because it rarely happened here, if at all outside of Clark and Domi.

43 minutes ago, Wilma Fingerdo said:

Dubas' plan. You tell me. 

To establish a skilled core and build around them with depth character guys? 

Edited by Morrison7
1 hour ago, Anger Management said:

They all thought speed and skill would win...obviously they were wrong now they are trying to get the necessary grit and character we need to push past at least the first round of the playoffs and i still think we will get there with what we have. 

Speed and skill will win. They just needed more on top of that. Dubas is trying to address those deficiencies. We'll see how the team goes now.

46 minutes ago, StepOnYou said:

LoL 

I hate skill. 

Is it the skill that you hate?

I think it might be the lack of determination that sometimes accompanies the skill. After all, grit is just determination.

The best players are the ones with the most determination.

That's the way it's always been.

17 minutes ago, JockDent said:

Is it the skill that you hate?

I think it might be the lack of determination that sometimes accompanies the skill. After all, grit is just determination.

The best players are the ones with the most determination.

That's the way it's always been.

I don't hate skill. I'm just having fun. 

Soft, skilled players can go either way. They can push themselves to be more determined or they have their legacy be like Alexander Semin. 

1 hour ago, Johnny's Home said:

This isn't the 80's, man. 

I know. I get it. We were spoiled with Clark, Gilmour etc., they were the epitome of what I love about hockey. But, the league today is much, much different than it was then. Speed and skill (with the obvious balance of strong support players) is the way it is today, you can't touch a player without ending up in the box, fighting is near dead and the aim seems to be more scoring and less goalie duels. 

I don't like it either, but this is where we're at. 

I don't disagree with everything here. Being penalized for fighting is still 5 min. in the box. Yeah there's no staged fighting anymore, but emotion still exists. People are still talking about Spezza's scrap in the play-in series. 

1 hour ago, StepOnYou said:

I don't disagree with everything here. Being penalized for fighting is still 5 min. in the box. Yeah there's no staged fighting anymore, but emotion still exists. People are still talking about Spezza's scrap in the play-in series. 

This is true, but look at the numbers league wide. Fighting overall is way down.

It's also hard on defensive players. You need players with strong positioning and active sticks because it seems everything is called (or nothing is called, equally as frustrating). 

It's all just different. I miss those days.

1 hour ago, crazyray79 said:

Just read Mikheyevs agent and the Leafs agent had agreed to a deal for more and then the Leafs called and offered less and he took it to help the team stay under the cap.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/behind-ilya-mikheyevs-last-minute-rfa-contract-maple-leafs/

Well, this is the type of guy you want on the team so I can see why they opted to work it out with him instead of "well someone in FA would be cheaper". You know what he brings when healthy, he's familiar with the team, he's shown he gels - with a FA you just don't know. 

Class move, Soup. Nice to see.

2 hours ago, Morrison7 said:

Probably because it rarely happened here, if at all outside of Clark and Domi.

To establish a skilled core and build around them with depth character guys? 

isn't that what Babcock was pushing for?

Edited by Wilma Fingerdo
10 hours ago, 1_new_name said:

Speed and skill will win. They just needed more on top of that. Dubas is trying to address those deficiencies. We'll see how the team goes now.

Well we certainly can't complain about him sitting idle now. How these moves pan out remains to be seen, but he's made the effort to fill some holes.

Dubas is also benefiting from Matthews (and other skilled guys, but it lives/dies with Matthews) appeal and players wanting to play here again. That's not a bad thing, he's used it to snag what we hope will be the partner that Rielly needs, some depth on D and some pretty damn strong experience that will act as role players and mentors. 

It could still crash and burn like a 4x4 off a cliff, but I feel much differently about this team now than I did a month ago.

Also, losing Kapanen and Johnsson sucks, that isn't lost on me, but we all knew to fill holes on D players would need to be moved out. It's the unfortunate downfall of a cap system. Hopefully having a healthy Mikheyev, Thornton on the PP and a stronger year from Marner will make up for their loss. 

I just hope the PK doesn't suffer too much, but let's face it, that's been an issue since long before these two were even in the league.

Another factor people haven't considered much is the changes in the coaching staff. Hopefully they will turn out to be positive changes and we'll see a difference this year. Keefe gets a full year to build the team as he sees fit and there's some good experience that was brought in. 

13 hours ago, crazyray79 said:

Just read Mikheyevs agent and the Leafs agent had agreed to a deal for more and then the Leafs called and offered less and he took it to help the team stay under the cap.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/behind-ilya-mikheyevs-last-minute-rfa-contract-maple-leafs/

Oh wow, maybe Marner can get some tips.

Cunt.

5 minutes ago, PIPERSMAN63 said:

I guess most of us aren't happy with Marner's contract. But what is the point of going on endlessly about it?

I guess most of us aren't happy with the Leafs in general. But what's the point of going on endlessly about not being happy with the Leafs?

Just now, PIPERSMAN63 said:

We have done a lot of free agent signings. Lets wait and see how we do next season first.

We have done great. Does not take away Marner's contract is shit, regardless of how many times it's been said. It would be amazing to see him shut everyone up at the start of the season.

Just now, brocto said:

We have done great. Does not take away Marner's contract is shit, regardless of how many times it's been said. It would be amazing to see him shut everyone up at the start of the season.

Well, that is what i am hoping for. He is definitely capable of having a 100 point season.

43 minutes ago, brocto said:

Mostly you.

You're the only one on here still whipping that horse.

Edited by JockDent