Your 2020 - 2021 Toronto Maple Leafs

1 hour ago, JockDent said:

Zach Hyman      Auston Matthews Mitch Marner
Ilya Mikheyev     John Tavares William Nylander
Jimmy Vesey       Alexander Kerfoot Wayne Simmonds

Alexander Barabanov 

Joe Thornton Jason Spezza

Swap Marner and Willy and this is the lineup I'd go with. I see that 4th line constantly rotating though regardless.

Edited by Morrison7
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lets drop the personal attacks please. This is the Leafs section not the bitch to/about each other section.

It seems Dubas is bringing in players that will compete. We certainly don't have enough of those type of players on our team. So why the complaining?

i dont understand why everyone keeps saying arimov is a small soft winger.   he's 170, 6' at 18.... he'll be 195-200 by 22 easily, and not a single scouting reports that he avoids contact...

Posted Images

I just don't know how obvious it has to be that the plan is to outscore or avoid our problems before you guys catch on. 

Last year we were the third-least penalized team in the league. Since Matthews came into the league we're the fourth-least penalized team and we take the fourth-least penalties/60, per NHL.com.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/teams?report=penalties&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20162017&seasonTo=20192020&gameType=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=a_penaltiesTakenPer60&page=0&pageSize=50

The plan is not to build a solid, robust PK. The plan is to have a barely passable PK and to not have to PK much. 

Last year our PK (77.7%) was nearly four percent worse than TBL's (81.4%) but both teams allowed 43 powerplay goals against.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/teams?report=penaltykill&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20192020&seasonTo=20192020&gameType=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=penaltyKillPct&page=0&pageSize=50

So, you know. Context and actual results rather than pretty face-value numbers. 

Which isn't to say that our actual results can't improve; if you look at that link you'll see that both teams also finished in the top-half of the league for most PP GA. It's just a mistake to look to improve that solely by employing shut-down guys who, frankly, don't fit the mold of the rest of the team at all.

6 minutes ago, David M. Sutton said:

Last year our PK (77.7%) was nearly four percent worse than TBL's (81.4%) but both teams allowed 43 powerplay goals against.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/teams?report=penaltykill&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20192020&seasonTo=20192020&gameType=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=penaltyKillPct&page=0&pageSize=50

So, you know. Context and actual results rather than pretty face-value numbers. 

Which isn't to say that our actual results can't improve; if you look at that link you'll see that both teams also finished in the top-half of the league for most PP GA. It's just a mistake to look to improve that solely by employing shut-down guys who, frankly, don't fit the mold of the rest of the team at all.

Hopefully the new additions won't be too sluggish. I don't need them to be Thomas Kaberle, but hopefully they aren't Hall Gill or Jeff Finger. (Rember HIM!?!?!)

4 hours ago, Duffman said:

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Mikheyev - Tavares - Marner
Kerfoot - Thornton - Robertson
Engvall - Spezza - Barbanov

extras: Vesey, Simmonds, Anderson

I look at this forward group and I'm just not impressed. The skill is there, thats for sure. Maybe try AM or JT on Thornton's wing. But no matter how you set the lineup (Really anyone outside of Matthews/Tavares/Nylander/Marner/Hyman is interchangeable) there aren't any real shut down lines and no real PKers (I guess Kerfoot-Engvall could be a unit, but they shouldn't be your go to guys for that). Who shuts down the opposing team's top line? Who's going out there with a 1 goal lead with a minute left in the 3rd?

i think at 11 million some of our stars will need to be defensively sound.  luckily they seem to be going that route.  

1 hour ago, Tristan28 said:

Hopefully the new additions won't be too sluggish. I don't need them to be Thomas Kaberle, but hopefully they aren't Hall Gill or Jeff Finger. (Rember HIM!?!?!)

Jeff Finger. Lol.

On 10/17/2020 at 9:38 AM, Morrison7 said:

No, you’re just the only idiot to suggest trading young talent for him though.

Electricity and ham.

As if Marner being better wasn’t already a deal-breaker, this is icing on the cake.

He wasn't last year though. So make it 8 for Laine. 

45 minutes ago, Woke Joe Biden said:

Fair value

Buying out Johnson and replacing him with Ceci is pretty funny though. Swapping out shit for shit.

44 minutes ago, Woke Joe Biden said:

He wasn't last year though. So make it 8 for Laine. 

Absolutely not. When Laine develops any sort of defensive game, let me know.

Laine doesn't need to develop defensive game. He's a hired gun. He literally just needs to score goals and make a PP absolutely terrifying for the opposition. Some players fit within a very specific role. He can be one of the best in the game at that role when people stop trying to change him.

3 hours ago, 1_new_name said:

Laine doesn't need to develop defensive game. He's a hired gun. He literally just needs to score goals and make a PP absolutely terrifying for the opposition. Some players fit within a very specific role. He can be one of the best in the game at that role when people stop trying to change him.

This year, if it ever happens, will be a better judgement of their relative values. I'd rather have last year's Laine, particularly with a big cap discount. Laine was pretty good his first season too. Of course Marner was great before he got overpaid. I just wasn't impressed with last year's timid random giveaway Marner.

Edited by Woke Joe Biden
1 hour ago, PIPERSMAN63 said:

So apparently Spezza offered Thornton his #19. He said he had too much respect for Joe not to. Thornton declined and said he was not going to do that. 

Two respectful pros. GudPros in Babspeak.

Edited by Woke Joe Biden
1 hour ago, Woke Joe Biden said:

This year, if it ever happens, will be a better judgement of their relative values. I'd rather have last year's Laine, particularly with a big cap discount. Laine was pretty good his first season too. Of course Marner was great before he got overpaid. I just wasn't impressed with last year's timid random giveaway Marner.

They're two completely different players, but last year’s Laine isn’t better than Marner despite the lack of fucks given by the latter. That big cap discount isn’t going to exist much longer when he’s a RFA next summer.

1 hour ago, PIPERSMAN63 said:

So apparently Spezza offered Thornton his #19. He said he had too much respect for Joe not to. Thornton declined and said he was not going to do that. 

Thornton is definitely on my jersey to-buy list, even if he’s only here for one season.

Edited by Morrison7
4 hours ago, 1_new_name said:

Brett Hull is a good example of this. He literally made his career with this in mind.

IMO PM mismanaged Laine. He will go elsewhere and light the league on fire.

6 hours ago, Woke Joe Biden said:

You do realize that Marner had 67 points in 59 games last season. At that pace he would have be up around the 90 point mark in a full 82 game season.